- Art Paper (or canvas or other material to draw and paint on)
- Choose your subject (do this quickly!)
- Set a timer for 20 minutes
- First Burst: Begin sketching out your subject. Be loose and gestural in your drawing. Adding basic large shapes for the subject and areas with different values. (Remember you only have 20 minutes to draw)
- Reset your timer for 20 minutes
- Second Burst: Add color! Begin blocking in with color (light to dark or dark to light), start to build texture and other visual interests.
- At the end of the second burst, put your paint brush down and step back to look at your artwork. What do you want this art piece to have more of? Less of? What do you want to feel when you look at it?
- Reset your timer for the final 20 minutes
- Third Burst: Return to your painting and take the last 20 minutes to finish it. Make any changes, add details, communicate a feeling.
- Share a photo of your artwork on the Hoyt Facebook page
Find more things to See Learn & Do!