An After School Program for Young Entrepreneurs
Got a dream, idea or talent? Kickstart your future self with a brand new after-school program designed to equip youth with the skills, confidence and connections you need to be your own boss! You’ll have an opportunity to develop your own talent portfolio, compete for scholarships and prizes, and uncover the career potential in your own backyard!
Every young person has the potential to lead, so let’s start by uncovering your personal leadership style! You’ll learn to appreciate the differences and how they contribute to building a strong team. We’ll work together to build a small summer business then apply those skills to supporting a social venture in during the school year! This experience will not only help you to learn about yourself and your community but to communicate more effectively, manage conflicts, set goals and make decisions throughout your entire life!
Want to change the world? Unleash your entrepreneurial mindset to solve our own community’s challenges by developing and supporting social ventures in Lawrence County! Social Ventures are businesses that put the interests of the people and the planet ahead of individual gain by reinvesting the bulk of the profits back into a charitable cause. You will use the design thinking process to develop a possible solution, test your idea against the market, create a sustainable business model to ensure long term success, then actually pitch your idea to a Lawrence County non-profit!
Think you’ve come up with the next best thing? Many people have creative business ideas, but you need know how to pitch them to get the funding needed to take them to market! A good pitch begins with a story followed by your idea and a call to action, but they are supported by a solid business plan that demonstrates sustainability through potential profits. We’ll walk you through the steps of putting together a plan with easy exercises. Then you can pitch your idea to our own ‘Shark Tank’ of experts to compete for a $1000 prize!
Details & Requirements
- Kickstart is open to incoming 10th and 11th grade students attending Lawrence County Career & Technical Center in the 2022-23 school year.
- There are no required costs but there is a required commitment to fully participate in the program throughout the year.
- Application is required online at www.hoytartcenter.org/kickstart by May 1, 2022.
- Application does not guarantee admission. Participation is limited to 20 students.
- You must be able to provide your own transportation to and from the program.
- Absolutely no experience is required! Students in any trade program may apply.
A free subscription to Tallo
Everyone has a skill, interest, or ability that someone else is looking for. What’s missing is the connection. Tallo is an online platform that gives the next generation of talent the ability to overcome traditional boundaries and connect with opportunities anytime, anywhere. You can showcase your interests, experiences, accomplishments and goals to connect with meaningful educational and career-related opportunities.
Introductory Summer Program: Lemonade Day
Lemonade Day is a fun, experiential program that will teach you how to work as a team to start, own and operate your own concession stand. You’ll craft your own recipe, develop a pitch, create marketing materials, and design and build your own stand! Stands will compete at the Hoyt’s Annual Children’s Summer Arts Festival on August 12, 2022. The stand will the most sales wins! Teams get to keep their profits! The summer program will be held Tuesday & Thursday 10 am – 1 pm, July 5 – August 16 at Arts & Education at the Hoyt, 124 E. Leasure Avenue, New Castle, PA.
Not a part of KickStart, but want to participate in the summer Lemonade Days program? A limited number of spots are available. Register Now!
Field trips throughout the 2022-23 school year
Get to know the businesses and career opportunities in Lawrence County with field trips during the academic school year.
Opportunities to compete for scholarships, win prizes and earn a little extra cash!
Through Tallo, Lemonade Days, Pitch Challenges and more!
Important Dates & Deadlines
- Deadline for Applications: May 1, 2022
- Notification of participation: May 15, 2022:
- Family Kick Off event: May 26, 2022, 6-8 pm.
- Summer Program: July 5-August 16, 2022. Meets Tues & Thurs, 10 am -1 pm at Arts & Education at the Hoyt, 124 E. Leasure Avenue, New Castle, PA.
- 2022-23 school year: September 12- May 15. Meets Mondays, 3-6 pm at LCCTC in the Commercial Arts classroom.
Kickstart is funded by the PA Innovative Entrepreneurial Youth Hub program administered by PSAYDN.