Winter Education Intern
Position: Education Intern
Location: Arts & Education at the Hoyt, 124 E. Leasure Avenue, New Castle, PA 16101
Reports to: Paige Kleinfelder, Outreach Director
Position Type: Fixed term contract.
Duration: 12 Weeks.
Hours: 2:45-5:45pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Additional hours are flexible. Some weekends are required. 20 hours/week.
Salary Details: $12/hr.
Employment Period: Start date flexible; ends April 26, 2024
Prerequisites: You must be a currently enrolled undergraduate and have completed at least two semesters of college. You must be a resident of or attend a college in Lawrence, Mercer or Butler County and be able to provide your own transportation to and from work sites.
The Education Internship offers the opportunity to support Arts & Education at the Hoyt’s Education department with arts programming, summer camp lesson development, and outreach programming. Through the process, the Education Intern will learn the foundational skills necessary to understand the role of education within a contemporary art center, including a basic understanding of program development and implementation.
The Education Intern will provide classroom assistance with After School Arts and Art’s Club. Interns will have the opportunity to lead gallery discussions as part of youth programs and lead art demonstrations for lessons. In addition to classroom experience, the intern will also participate in developing lessons for Hoyt Summer Camps and in developing and implementing Hoyt outreach contribution to the Oneness event.
The candidate must have a strong interest in pursuing a career in education (particularly in the arts) and have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with classroom programing
- Manage classroom during homework hour for After School Arts
- Provide hands-on help for students
- Assist with attendance records
- Lead workshop or lesson
- Assist with summer camp development: research ideas for engaging lessons and create project examples with accompanying lesson plans.
- Gather feedback from current participants to improve future programming
- Develop and implement outreach activities for Oneness
- Participate in team meetings
- Participate in Hoyt programs: After School Arts, Art’s Club
- Other duties assigned